Monday, April 6, 2009

Missing

Today I am sick, so work is out, but the mind is still working! So, I thought I'd get a head start on my poem-of-the-day early - no luck, the post wasn't up yet. No problem, I thought, I'll just make up my own poem, and I began to write the poem below titled "Missing". An hour later, when I got back to my computer I pulled up today's prompt - "write about something missing"! No kidding, wierd. So I wrote another one... here they are. Which one do you like?


Missing


What is missing from corporate is
color, gray walls, black suits, careful
words, don’t offend lest the rungs
be pulled out from under you

meanwhile, color pulls, give me
Akan cloth, Key West cottages,
Hawaiian shirts, let me paint
myself into a raspberry corner

what is it about color that makes
my heart beat stronger, if I could
write my briefs in crayon, would I
be happy?




Here

I miss the places I have been,
and all the ones I’ll never see,

I miss some things I used to own
from which, thank God, I’m finally free,

I miss the folks I used to know,
although, they never did know me,

I see no point in looking back,
I’m in the place that I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment