Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Seven Steps

Today I read about half of a book called Seven Steps on the Writer's Path.  I didn't really know what it was when I picked it up, but it turned out to be very timely for me.   The book claims there are seven steps:
1. Unhappiness - what I would call dissatisfaction with your path, your life, been there, had that
2. Wanting - this would probably be my longest phase, as I think back I have been 'yearning' for a writing life since I was a child, since reading the titles off the back of Golden Books, and trying to thing what I would write for that title, through song-writing, poetry, NaNoWriMo, and now children's writing
3. Commitment - well, that happened right here, a couple of months ago
4. Wavering - and this is where I am, or where I was,  stuck with three manuscripts, all with problems and wondering if I could do this after all,.... but reading it in the book was really helpful.  It was comforting to know it was a common phase, that everyone questions and it's just a stage,   That got me off my butt to try a rewrite on the first manuscript and think up a direction for another...
5. Letting Go -
6. Immersion -
7. Fulfillment
Haven't read about 5,6,7 yet, and probably haven't been there yet either... more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment